Architecture is the construction of form and it is also function. What makes architecture so diverse and ever changing is due to the development and uses of new materials enabling new forms of expression. The end result protects, projects, inspires, contains, empowers, and controls. And yet it is art, soul, design, illusion, ornamentation, method, utility, love, aesthetic, engineering, and experimentation. At its core it is shelter; the fundamental and primordial necessity alongside food.
- “Architecture is a visual art, and the buildings speak for themselves.”
- “Architecture should speak of its time and place, but yearn for timelessness.” Frank Gehry
- “Architecture has recorded the great ideas of the human race. Not only every religious symbol, but every human thought has its page in that vast book.” Victor Hugo
- “Greek architecture is the flowering of geometry.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “In any architecture, there is an equity between the pragmatic function and the symbolic function.” Michael Graves
- “All architecture is shelter, all great architecture is the design of space that contains, cuddles, exalts, or stimulates the persons in that space.” Philip Johnson
- “An architect is the drawer of dreams.” Grace McGarvie